Carpeting is expensive. Your efforts in vacuuming, spot cleaning and getting carpets taken care of by Salt Lake City carpet cleaning companies will pay off in prolonging the life of your carpet and saving you thousands of dollars. Clean carpets smell and look good and give you the confidence that your home is clean and relatively allergy free.
In addition to having your carpets regularly and professionally cleaned by Salt Lake City carpet cleaning companies, there are several things, you can do to keep your carpets clean.
- Take off shoes. Ask your family and guests to take off their shoes when entering your home. Shoes worn around the carpet increases the amount of dirt in your carpets. The dirt you carry in from the outside on your shoes will go directly to your carpets.
If friends and family are not comfortable going barefoot in your home, provide cute booties for them to wear. A survey done by several carpeting companies revealed that most people are comfortable taking off their shoes when in different homes.
- Purchase doormats or throw rugs. Having doormats at the entrances is an excellent idea. Your guests can wipe their shoes off before going into your house. A doormat or throw rug collects footfall and helps keep your carpets clean. Have two mats. One mat to use outside the door to wipe your shoes on and the other inside the house where you take off your shoes. You will probably have to wash or vacuum the doormats occasionally, but that’s easier than cleaning your entire carpet.
- Vacuum often. Vacuuming regularly is the best way to keep carpets clean. If you vacuum often you will remove the dirt before it gets trodden into the carpet. Make sure you set your vacuum at the right height. If you set your vacuum too low, you will damage the carpet and the vacuum’s roller brush. If set too high, the vacuum won’t pick up dirt.
Dirt is like a thousand little knives cutting against the yarn of your carpet. The soil in your carpet damages the fibers, mats down the carpet and causes them to stain quickly. To better keep your rug clean and protected, vacuum high traffic areas like entrances and hallways twice a week. Vacuum the rest of the carpeting at least once a week to keep it free from soil.
- Keep your vacuum moving. It is not important whether your vacuum is a conventional type filtered or a canister you need to keep it in good working condition. Change the bag or filter occasionally, so you do no leave direct behind when you clean. Invest in a good vacuum that will keep your carpets clean.
- Be careful when you use carpet powders. Interesting smelling carpet powders are trendy to use. They do keep your carpets smelling good. However, the use of carpet powders leaves a residue that will damage your carpet over time.
- Stains or messes need to be cleaned up as soon as they happen. If you dump something or track in oily dirt on your carpet, it’s a great idea to attack the stain quickly. Waiting until later to clean to causes stains to deep set.
Different types of stains ask for different treatments. Keep a “stain killing” kit and include professional carpet stain remover for stubborn stain, club soda for wine or beer spills, and hydrogen peroxide for blood stains. If you get chewing gum in your carpet, use ice cubes to remove the gum.
Try not to rub or scrub at a stain. Scrubbing a stain will damage the fibers of the carpet. Blot away from the outer edge toward the center of the stain. Blotting will help you to avoid spreading the spot and creating a huge problem.
Do be patient when you are working with stains. Work water, vinegar or club soda gently into the spill and blot. Repeat until the stain is gone and all the water has been absorbed. Keep working at it and be patient.
- Professionally clean the carpet. It is a good idea to have your carpets professional cleaned at least twice a year. Don’t wait until the carpet looks dirty. Call a Salt Lake City carpet cleaner to make sure your carpet is clean and fresh. Professional carpet cleaning in Salt Lake City uses specialized machines and reagents. They deep clean your carpet, use a spot cleaner, and give you advice on how to keep your carpets cleaned.
Properly cleaned and maintained carpet will last almost twice as long as an unkept carpet. Keep your carpet looking new and fresh for years by following the listed strategies. Remember that if you have an emergency and need your carpets cleaned professionally, Salt Lake City carpet cleaners are the best way to solve your dirty carpet problems. Call Aspen Rotovac, a premier Salt Lake City carpet cleaner, if you want your carpets cleaned, sanitized, and treated to keep them cleaner longer.