Rugs are one of the most essential elements of our homes that make the interior beautiful. A perfectly matching rug in the living room can define the décor theme and also enhance the other interior elements like furniture and furnishing. Beautiful houses are good to see but it’s sometimes hard to maintain.
When it comes to cleaning an area rug, which is commonly used in home décor, you would need to hire a professional rug cleaning Salt Lake City UT. Or you can also Do It Yourself, which can actually be a difficult task. To DIY area rug cleaning, you need to know the rug cleaning steps. Even when you are hiring professional rug cleaning services, you need to know the steps to judge whether the professionals have done it perfectly or not.
Here are some steps to clean an area rug, which are stated as follows.
There are some basic tools or equipment that you will require while cleaning an area rug.
TOOLS NEEDED FOR AREA RUG CLEANING
- Rug shampoo
- Soft bristle brush
- Rubber gloves
- Garden hose
- wet- dry vacuum
STEPS TO CLEAN AN AREA RUG
- Remove The Dry Dirt:Before cleaning a rug, try to remove a maximum portion of dry dirt which will clean the rug better. A soft bristle brush can help to remove the dry dirt and debris. You can even hang the rug and lightly hit it with a rod or stick to remove the dirt from it. After removing dry dirt from the rug, you will find it lighter as rug mostly contains dry dirt and debris which is removed at the very first step only.
- Mix Up The Cleaning Liquid:Get a bucket and take an appropriate portion of rug shampoo and water. Remember, larger is the rug more is the amount of cleaning mixture. Generally, there is some common rug cleaning shampoo available in the market but before choosing your rug shampoo, you need to know the type of rug you are planning to clean. There are different types of rugs depending upon the material used for weaving. The common types are world rugs, cotton rugs, jute and sisal rugs, silk and viscose rugs, nylon rugs, olefin rugs, polyester rugs. You need to find the appropriate rug shampoo depending upon the material and clean your rug without damaging your rug material.
- Do A Color Test:Sometime, if the rug shampoo is not selected properly, it can make the rug color run while washing, making the rug look dull after washing. Always take a small portion of the rug, preferably any corner of the rug and treat it with the rug shampoo mixture and see whether the rug bleeds color or not. If the treatment doesn’t cause color running, then you can use the mixture for the entire rug as it will not cause any harm to the rug.
- Wash The Rug:It is better to use rubber gloves and a sponge to rub the rug after applying the liquid cleaning mixture to it. More it lathers, better it is cleaned but make sure that you should not damage the rug. Over rubbing may cause damage to the rug. Treat the rug gently and clean it properly.
- Wash The Big Rug:If you are cleaning a big rug in your home, then you should preferably choose terrace or garden to clean the rug. Washing rug will be comfortable if you use water hose. The water hose can clean the rug with great intensity which makes the rug cleaning process faster and easier. Use the water hose and remove the shampoo and remaining dirt from the rug. It will be better if you hang the rug and run clean water even after washing the rug which helps to clean it completely.
- Remove Excess Water:Removing excess water from the rug will help you dry the rug faster. You can take help of a wet-dry cleaner to remove the excess water. The vacuum will remove the maximum water from the rug and also help to reduce its weight. Make sure you run the vacuum in the direction of weaving while removing the excess water otherwise it will damage the weave and threads may come out.
- Dry The Rug:Leave the rug for complete drying. If you are willing to dry out the rug indoor using high-speed fan, then it can be a good option or else you can dry it out under sun. Sun drying removes all bacteria and enhances the rug with a fresh smell which you might not get if you dry the rug indoor with fans.
If you are thinking of rug cleaning Salt Lake City UT by a professional, then you just need to find a good company in Salt Lake City UT.
How To Maintain A Rug?
There are two things that you can do to maintain your rug and keep it new for a long time. Don’t step on rugs while wearing shoes. If you use sleepers to move in the house, then it is fine but don’t use those sleepers outside the home to keep your rug clean. Make a habit of removing shoes before stepping into the rug which will help to keep the rug clean for a long time. You can vacuum the rug and clean the dry debris regularly. Regular maintenance will help you extend the life of your rug.
It is better to clean a rug by hiring professionals if you want the rug to last for a long time. If you are confident to take good care of it yourself, then you can follow DIY cleaning trends and save a lot of money.